Many people looking for adaptable and low-maintenance hairstyles now frequently choose braided wigs. They let you maintain your natural hair while providing the ease of a ready-to-wear appearance. However, to ensure their longevity and maintain their best appearance, braided wigs need the same care and upkeep as your actual hair.
I will walk you through the step-by-step process of washing and drying your braided wigs in this article. And concentrate on full lace wigs and box braid wigs in particular.
Acquiring the Required Supplies
It is crucial to acquire all the required supplies before starting the washing and drying process. What you'll need is as follows:
Choose a shampoo designed especially for wigs made of synthetic or human hair. Shampoos that are too abrasive can harm the fibers or loosen the braids.
Find a leave-in conditioner that is mild and suitable for wigs. It will assist in retaining moisture in the braids and preventing drying out.
Wig Stand Or Mannequin Head
Using a wig stand or mannequin head will help keep the wig's shape while it is being washed and dried.
Before applying shampoo, dampen the wig with water with a spray bottle.
Gently pat the wig dry with a fresh, absorbent towel.
Cleaning the Wig With Braids
Now that you have all you need, let's move on to efficiently washing the braided wig:
Detangle the Wig
Gently use a wide-toothed comb or your fingers through the braids to remove any tangles or knots. Work your way up to the roots by beginning at the ends.
Dampen the Wig
To slightly dampen the wig, spritz it with water from the spray bottle. Avoid wetting the wig since too much water can weigh down the braids and take longer to dry.
Apply shampoo by combining a small amount of the gentle shampoo with water. Next, apply the shampoo mixture evenly throughout the wig, paying special attention to the roots and scalp region, using your fingers or a gentle brush. Avoid forcefully rubbing or cleaning the braids as this can result hair frizzing or unraveling.
Rinse the wig thoroughly, rinsing it in lukewarm water to get rid of all the shampoo. To ensure thorough cleaning, gently squeeze the braids while being careful not to twist or wring them.
Drying The Wig With Braids
Your braided wig needs to be properly dried after washing in order to keep its form and quality:
Squeeze Out Any Excess Water Gently
Gently squeeze the braids to get rid of any extra water while the wig is still wet. The braids should not be twisted or wrung out because this might cause frizzing or tangling.
Pat Dry With A Towel
Lay the wig flat on a clean, absorbent cloth and pat it dry. Dry the braids with a soft towel, soaking up as much moisture as you can. Avoid rubbing the towel against the wig since this might break down the fibers through friction.
Let the wig dry naturally in the air. To help it keep its shape while drying, place it on a mannequin head or wig stand. Avoiding heat sources like hair dryers and direct sunshine is crucial since they can make braids brittle or lose their texture.
More Advice For Caring For Braided Wigs
Here are some more suggestions to remember in order to preserve the longevity and beauty of your braided wig:
- A braided wig should not be used when sleeping or taking a shower since it may tangle, frizz, or even develop mildew. For the wig to maintain its quality, it is best to take it off before these activities.
- When not in use, store your braided wig on a wig stand or in a ventilated bag to keep it free of dust and to preserve its shape. The wig's braids can become flattened if heavy objects are placed on top of it.
- Regularly moisturize the wig: Depending on the style, you might need to do this to keep the braids from drying out and breaking. To keep the braids moisturized, use a thin leave-in conditioner or a specific wig moisturizer.
- It's important to keep the braids moisturized, but applying too many styling products might cause buildup, which makes the wig heavy or oily. Choose products that are water-based, light, and apply them sparingly.
- Be careful while using heat styling equipment: If your braided wig is constructed of heat-resistant synthetic fibers or human hair, you can use heat styling tools to sometimes vary the appearance. To avoid harming the braids, use heat-protectant sprays consistently and limit your exposure to heat.
Your braided wigs must be cleaned and dried properly to keep their beauty and length of use. You can maintain the pristine appearance of your box braid wigs and full lace wigs by following the detailed procedure described in this article. Don't forget to gather the required tools, untangle the wig, carefully wash it, condition the braids, and let the wig air dry. Your braided wigs will continue to complement your look and safeguard your natural hair for many occasions to come with a little tender loving care. For your braided wig to remain beautiful and durable, proper care is necessary. Your box braid wigs and full lace wigs will stay in top shape if you adhere to the step-by-step procedure described in this article. At FANCIVIVI, we specialize in creating versatile, low-maintenance braided wigs for black women. Our wigs are made to allow you to keep your natural hair while giving you the convenience of a ready-to-wear appearance. Visit our official website to find out more about our offerings and how they may enhance any outfit.
To keep the wig looking its best, always gather the required materials, detangle it, wash and condition the braids, and let it air dry.