Wearing a wig is a wonderful way to change up your look, protect your natural hair, or simply try something new. For black women, wigs can be a great option for protective styling and experimenting with different hairstyles, including small knotless braids, large knotless braids, butterfly braids, and criss cross braids hairstyles. However, many people worry that their wig may not look natural, and that can be a major concern. The good news is that there are many ways to make your wig look real, and by following some simple tips and tricks, you can rock a fabulous and flawless hairstyle. In this comprehensive guide, we will share our top tips to make your synthetic wig look as natural as possible.
Choose the Right Wig
The first step to achieving a natural wig look is choosing the right wig. Full lace wigs are an excellent choice because they allow for a more natural hairline and give you more styling options. When selecting your wig, consider the following:
- Color: Choose a wig color that complements your skin tone and looks natural on you. If you're unsure, go for a shade close to your natural hair color or consult a professional stylist.
- Texture: Opt for a wig texture that resembles your natural hair, whether it's straight, wavy, or curly. This will make it easier to blend your wig with your own hair if necessary.
- Style: Select a style that suits your face shape and personal taste. Feeling comfortable and confident in your wig is essential, so make sure it's a style you love.
Trim the Lace Properly
A full lace wig comes with excess lace around the hairline, which needs to be trimmed before wearing. To trim the lace:
- Put the wig on a wig stand or your head.
- Using sharp scissors or a razor, carefully trim the lace along the hairline, leaving about 1/8 inch of lace. Be cautious not to cut too close to the hairline, as this may cause shedding.
Trimming the lace helps create a natural-looking hairline and ensures a comfortable fit.
Customize the Hairline
To make your wig look even more natural, consider customizing the hairline. This can include:
- Plucking: Use a pair of tweezers to pluck hairs out of the hairline, creating a more natural appearance. Be gentle and work slowly to avoid damaging the lace.
- Baby hairs: Cut a few short hairs around the hairline to create baby hairs. These can be styled with a small brush and hair gel to create a realistic hairline.
- Knot bleaching: If your wig has visible knots, you can bleach them to create a more natural look. Be cautious when using bleach, and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Adjust the Wig Cap Size
A well-fitted wig cap is essential for a natural look. Adjust the wig cap size to fit your head snugly but comfortably. Most box wigs come with adjustable straps or an elastic band to help you achieve the perfect fit. Remember, a too-tight wig can cause discomfort and potential damage to your natural hair, while a too-loose wig may not look as realistic.
Blend Your Hairline
If you have hair that matches the color and texture of your wig, consider blending your natural hairline with the box braid wig. This can be done by:
- Apply a wig cap and leave a small section of your natural hair out in the front.
- Carefully blend your natural hair with the wig hair using a brush or comb.
- Securing the blended hair with clips or bobby pins if necessary.
This technique can help create a seamless hairline and make your wig look more natural.
Style Your Wig
Styling your wig can make a huge difference in achieving a natural appearance. Use heat-styling tools, such as curling irons or flat irons, on low heat settings to style your wig. Remember that not all synthetic wigs can handle the heat, so be sure to check the manufacturer's recommendations before using heat tools on your wig.
Knotless braids hairstyles, such as small knotless braids hairstyles and large knotless braids hairstyles, can be styled on synthetic wigs to create a natural and chic look. Ombre wigs are also a great option for adding depth and dimension to your hair. You can also experiment with different hairstyles, such as braids, twists, buns, or ponytails, to give your wig a natural and versatile look.
Use the Right Products
Using the right products on your synthetic wig is crucial for maintaining its appearance and longevity. Some products to consider include:
- Wig shampoo and conditioner: Use gentle, wig-specific shampoo and conditioner to clean and condition your wig.
- Leave-in conditioner: A leave-in conditioner can help keep your wig soft and manageable.
- Dry shampoo: To reduce shine and make your wig look more natural, use a dry shampoo or a light dusting of baby powder.
- Hair spray: Use a light-hold hair spray to keep your wig in place and maintain your desired style.
Maintain Your Wig
Proper maintenance is critical to keeping your wig looking natural and lasting longer. Some tips for maintaining your wig include:
- Wash and condition your wig regularly, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Store your wig on a wig stand or mannequin head to maintain its shape and style.
- Avoid exposing your wig to excessive heat, such as from hair dryers or direct sunlight, as this can cause damage to the fibers.
- Comb or brush your wig gently, starting from the tips and working your way up to the roots.
- Rotate between multiple wigs if possible, giving each wig a break and allowing it to maintain its shape and quality.
Wear a Wig Grip or Wig Cap
A wig grip or wig cap can help keep your wig in place, making it more comfortable to wear and ensuring a secure fit. This can prevent your wig from shifting throughout the day, making it look more natural. Choose a wig grip or cap that matches your skin tone for the most realistic appearance.
Practice Makes Perfect
Finally, remember that practice makes perfect when it comes to making your wig look natural. As you gain more experience wearing and styling wigs, you'll become more skilled at creating a realistic appearance. Don't be discouraged if your wig doesn't look perfect right away—keep practicing and trying new techniques, and you'll soon be a wig-wearing pro.
With the proper techniques and patience, achieving a natural look with your synthetic wig is possible. By choosing a high-quality wig like FANCIVIVI's braided wigs, customizing the hairline, styling and maintaining your wig correctly, and practicing your wig-wearing skills, you can rock a fabulous and flawless hairstyle that looks just like your own hair. Remember, confidence is vital when it comes to pulling off any look, so wear your wig with pride and enjoy the endless styling possibilities that come with it.
Whether you're looking for a box braid wig, square box braids, or knotless locs, FANCIVIVI has a wide selection of high-quality Japanese synthetic fiber wigs to choose from. You can achieve a stunning and natural look with your new wig with proper care and styling. Happy wig-wearing!